Back in Jinja



As I write this, I’m sitting on the porch of our apartment, looking out over the beautiful Lake Victoria. The sounds of life from people living in the fishing slum (Rippon) below us are floating up and filling the air. I’m trying to get an album to play via Apple Music but it keeps cutting in and out because currently the internet just isn’t strong enough. Such is life here.

I can’t believe we are already 3 weeks into January. I can’t believe that I had to say goodbye to my family and friends over 2 weeks ago when I flew down to Nashville. I can’t believe how fast that week passed in Nashville. And I can’t believe that it’s been over a week since Heather and I got on a plane (and then another plane, and then another plane) to make the long journey to Uganda.

Flying over the desert 
Flying over the clouds 

The flights were fine; it was just a long trip. We flew from Nashville to Atlanta. Heather flies a lot so we were TSA approved which was awesome. They did end up going through my backpack though which took some time but I didn’t have anything bad so I got through. That first flight was delayed so we were unsure if we would make out connection in Atlanta. We ended up booking it pretty quickly through the airport to make the connection and boarded as soon as we got to our gate. We prayed that our bags would be able to make it onto the plane in the short time that we had and they did! We then flew from Atlanta to Amsterdam. It was nice when we got there because we didn’t have to go through security again. Then from Amsterdam we flew to Kigali (Rwanda) and then had to stay on that plane while people got off/on. Then from Kigali it was just a quick flight to Entebbe (Uganda). We were thrilled to get out of the plane and that all of our bags had made it.

We ended up driving to Kampala and staying at a guesthouse there for the night. This allowed us to rest and not have to make the 3+ hour drive to Jinja in the middle of the night which can be dangerous at times. This also allowed us to exchange some money the following day and get internet while we were there. We were also able to stop at 2 stores on the way back to Jinja where we were able to pick up necessities for the apartment. As we were driving to our apartment, which is just down past the road where HEAL is, we saw a few of our staff walking home. We stopped and they almost pulled me out of the car to embrace me. It was so sweet to see them and it made my heart fill with joy.


Beautiful sunset from our porch overlooking Lake Victoria 


I then had a couple of days to settle in, adjust from jet lag, and get things for the apartment together before I had to start working. We got to Jinja late Thursday and I started working on Monday. Saturday we ended up having to have an electrician come for about 8 hours to rewire the entire house. It turned out that we had a bat living in our ceiling and it had eaten a bunch of the wires and messed everything up. The electrician was so sweet and now everything is new and safely connected.

Wild kitty sleeping in our chair





Our apartment is furthest down on the compound that we live in, closest to the fishing slum below us. We have a fence that surrounds our property (as well as armed guards who protect the compound for all who are worried about my safety). The goats, chickens, wild cats, and wild dogs jump through the fence so they’re constantly roaming around. It’s been interesting getting used to hearing the dogs and cats fight throughout the night. Ugandans are scared of dogs and so they’re really mean to them, which means the dogs are terrified of humans. The cats are really scared too. It’s pretty sad.


Marabou stork sitting on apartment with goats eating the bushes 
There was a team at HEAL the first day and a half of this week. They left on Tuesday for safari and Trey and Elizabeth, one of the year long interns (there are currently 4 of these), left for safari with them! So I was handed a bag of money and left in charge of everything again. Doesn’t take long to get right back into the swing of things. It has been nice this week getting to know the other year long interns, Kara and Reed, as well as spending time with Meleia whom I met last year, and to get to know the short term interns as well (Erin and Kyla are great!).

This year my workdays are 9:30am to 5:30pm Monday through Friday. It’s nice starting a little later because it allows me extra time in the morning to be in the Word, preparing my heart better for what the day will hold. It’s been so great being back in this place, getting to see the staff, the women, and the children. It has only been 6 months but the children have all grown so much in that time!

Baby Benja has gotten so big! Look at those teeth! 





Benja, Parvin’s baby who I saw after she gave birth before she did, is now running around all over the place and even starting to talk! Jennifer gave birth to a beautiful baby boy named Nathan right after I left and he’s grown so much. Baby Faith (who pretty much runs HEAL) has gotten so much taller and talks a lot more. Ochen and Babirye have started to come out of their shells and are much more talkative/interactive than when I left. There are few new children who have been added to the program since I’ve left who are pretty adorable. Soon we will be adding even more because we can have up to 60 children now in our program.

Jennifer's sweet Baby Nathan





I’m still trying to figure out all that has changed in the time that I was gone. As I go along, I will be making my schedule for what each day will look like. This year is a little different. I will be overseeing quality control of the products that the women are making. That means I’ll get to spend a lot more time with the women and I’m looking forward to getting to know them better and growing those relationships. I’ll be over administration again which I really enjoy, as well as overseeing visitors who come to The James Place. I love sharing what HEAL is doing, so it’s always fun for me to give a tour of the property and explain how God is working in this place.


I’ve been in the Word a lot since I’ve been back. I start every morning off doing a devotional from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. At night I read through different sections that I have been working through but I also invested in a book of prayers that I’ve been praying through. It’s incredible how spot on Jesus Calling and this book of prayer are. The first day back, there was a prayer about growth and it incorporated this scripture:

We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. – Colossians 1:9-10

That scripture really hit home for me. I believe I am following God’s calling for me by being here, over 7,000 miles away from my family and friends, to serve the people of Jinja for this time. I pray that the way I am living is pleasing and that everything that I do is honoring God. It’s not always easy being here. In fact, often it is very hard.

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God…is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. – 1 Chronicles 28:20

We are not called to live an easy life. We were called to further the Kingdom of God, to share His love with everyone, including the least of these.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28

So for such a time as this, I will do what God has called me to do. I will serve the people of Jinja through HEAL Ministries in the best way that I can. I will surrender my heart to Him, to them, and invest my life in theirs.


Sunset from our apartment
No matter where you are, are you investing in the people around you? God has called us to live life in community. I encourage you to look at where you are right now and see how you can better reach out to those around you. Maybe it’s asking your neighbor over to share dinner together. Maybe it’s asking a co-worker to go get a cup of coffee with you. Maybe it’s being bold enough to ask someone to come to church with you for the first time. Whatever it is, I pray that God would reveal to you how to better reach the people around you and then that He would give you the courage to follow through how He calls you.

God bless you all.


Love, Auntie Betty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

The Last 4 Months

New Year Update