Go



I can’t believe I have been in Uganda for three weeks already. These weeks have flown by but the strange thing is that each day is filled with more activities than I can remember sometimes. Let me start from the beginning...


I left for Africa on June 30th. My journey started in the Newark Airport and it was the first time I have ever flown alone. It was hard to say goodbye to my family but I knew that we would talk to soon and that we would be together again and that I was doing the right thing. I flew from Newark to London and then from London to Entebbe. I was picked up around midnight on July 1st and got to The James Place shortly after 2am. I was greeted by Trey and some of the interns and team because they had just gotten back from watching America play in the World Cup. I was shown my bed and told to sleep in. I tried getting up with everyone in the morning but was told by many to get back in bed so I did as I was told. I was staying with the team and many of them were very sick.  By the grace of God, I did not get sick and didn’t even really experience jet lag. 

The next day I jumped into the routine of the day. Wake up before 8. Make breakfast between 8 and 8:30. 8:30 out to childcare and help feed them breakfast. Some of the older children go to preschool while the others just play outside until lunchtime at noon. We feed them and bath them and then they go down for a nap. Then at 1 we get to eat and have free time until 2 when chores (washing toys, mats, and dishes) start. The kids are supposed to sleep until 3 but generally start waking up at 2:30. Feed them a snack at 3 and then playtime again until everyone goes home (everyone is generally gone by 5:45). Our days are filled with playing, feeding, cleaning, and loving between 30 and 50 children. A day isn’t really complete unless you’ve been snotted, peed, and possibly pooped on. However, I love each and every one of our children here at The James Place. Then we get to make our dinner and do whatever we want during the evenings. Below is some of the awesome decorating that Tina has done upstairs.  


That’s just childcare. There are also multiple classes going on for the women each day. Business class, sewing, beading, and now pottery which I am sitting in on to see what they are being taught so I can write a curriculum for future classes. Pottery class is Monday through Thursday from 10 to 12. On Mondays and Wednesdays, there are trips into Masese, the slum by us, to do Bible study with the women and Kids Club with the children. On Fridays, we have Bible study with the women. On Saturdays, we have Village Bible School where over 200 kids attend to play, sing, and learn about Jesus. We also work with a lot of other organizations in Jinja and there are often trips to them during the week as well. We work closely with: Amani Baby Cottage, an orphanage; Ekisa Ministries who works with disabled children; and Serving His Children which is a malnutrition clinic. I have gotten to visit both Ekisa and Serving His Children so far and they are both super awesome organizations who are doing the work of the Lord and who are loving these kids and making a difference in the world. 


The James Place held a party on the 4th of July which meant that many other missionaries in the area came and we roasted chickens over the fire pit and enjoyed some delicious dessert. It was really nice getting to celebrate with other people and while we didn't have fireworks, we did have a photo booth which was pretty fun. We also go out sometimes as a group. The one day, we went to a restaurant that was located right next to the Nile where a bunch of rapids were. We enjoyed a delicious meal and got to see the beauty of God's creation while we ate.  


God's beauty is everywhere here. Not to say that it isn't present at home too, but life is simpler here and there are less distractions from God's beauty. The pictures below are from a sunrise, which was still incredibly beautiful even though it was cloudy. Something I've realized too, a picture is worth a thousand words but pictures really don't do justice to the beauty around us.


So much more has happened in these last few weeks that I want to write about. However, this post would go on for way too long and I also don't know if it will ever load. Internet is iffy here (which is also partially why I haven't posted in the last 3 weeks, although it is mostly I've just been to busy/tired). I will do my best to write more often from now on.  

Matthew 28:19-20 says "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." 

The Lord put it on my heart two years ago to go to Africa. Friends, I am so very happy I listened to Him. God is so good and He is always here with us. While we don't always understand His ways, His plan is so much greater for us than we could ever even imagine. I love Africa. I love Uganda. I love all of the people here at The James Place. If God has placed something on your heart, you need not be afraid. Pray about it, talk to others about it. And if you listen to what He wants you to do, you will find a joy and peace unlike anything you've ever experienced before. You may even find yourself in a different place halfway around the world like me, surrounded by people you love and who love you, whom you would have never had the chance to meet if you didn't listen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

The Last 4 Months

New Year Update