Happy New Year

As I write this, I find it hard to believe that 2015 is coming to an end and 2016 is about to begin. I find it hard to believe that I have been home for 6 months and that in 6 days I will be traveling down to Nashville for a few days before I head to Uganda. In less than 2 weeks I will be back in the country that I called home for a year, the country that I will once again call home for this coming year. It's a bit surreal as I prepare to leave my family and friends once again to go and serve the people that I fell in love with over 7,000 miles away. 

My best friends from my alma mater 

Saying goodbye to people is never easy. There are no guarantees in this life and each moment that we are allowed to breath is a blessing. Recently, there have been many deaths and medical scares among my friends and it helps remind me that each moment that we have is precious. We should make the best of what we have been given and never take a second for granted. I'm very thankful for this time that I've had to be with my family. I'm thankful for the times that I've gotten to spend with my friends and for the new friendships that have blossomed during my time home. I'm thankful for having been able to serve in my home church and for the work that emergence is doing here in Northern New Jersey. 
The ladies I've gotten to know from church

As my days here wind down, I've already had to say many goodbyes. It hurts, but knowing that I'm following God's calling for me helps make it easier. It's also made a little easier knowing that I'm returning to friends in Uganda. Life there is so different from life here. I'll miss washing machines and guaranteed power all of the time. I'll miss free, clean water when I go out and ice cubes in my drink. I'll miss my friends, my family and our pets. But I'm looking forward to being back. To seeing all of the staff, women and children of HEAL. To dirt between my toes and children calling "Auntie Betty, Auntie Betty!" in their excited little voices. To diving back into the field, loving on the people in front of me and seeing God working in their lives. To be doing what God has called me to do, despite it being difficult, to serve the least of these and share the light of the Gospel with them. These past few months have been a difficult season for me, being called to an extended period of rest. I'm not very good at resting. I've always pushed myself to do as much as I can, the best that I can. However, I know this season of rest was to prepare me for what is coming next. God has a perfect plan and I'm going to do my best to follow that, to trust in that. 

The property I'll be moving onto when I return to Uganda

If you could be in prayer for me during these next couple of weeks, I would appreciate it. The HEAL that I'm going back to has changed since the time that I've left. Our childcare program has expanded from 50 children to 60 children. There are currently 4 other year long interns there that have taken over a lot of responsibilities that I once had. It will take some time for me to figure out my role when I get back. My prayer is that despite that role being different from the last time I was there, that I would fulfill what is required of me with an open, servant's heart. 

Thank you for your prayers. And thank you to everyone who has supported me financially. I'm very close to having fundraised the $17,000 that I estimated that I would need. I will be fine with what I have; I know that if something comes up during the year that requires me to need more that the Lord will provide the people who will fulfill that need. Thank you to all of you and God bless. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

The Last 4 Months

New Year Update