Time Flies

Looking back at my blog, I can't believe it's been 6 months to today that I last posted here. Writing blogs has always been a struggle for me and since I've been home, it completely slipped my mind. I apologize! I have quite a few updates for you...

Sarah's Graduation



I came home mid June for my sister's high school graduation. I was happy that I was able to come home to be with her for such a major event in her life. It hurt my heart to leave the people that I had been with for a year, but I left knowing that I would be going back. I also got to go on vacation with my family which I haven't been able to do in a very long time. It was nice to get away and spend some quality time with them.





At the beach
When I initially went home, I went with the intention of being home for about a month and a half and then I would be moving to Nashville to do work for HEAL stateside through December. Proverbs 16:9 says "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." The Lord had other plans for me because about a week before I was to move to Nashville, I was told that finance issues occurred and I would not be able to go. So then I started looking for a job. Well, no one really wants to hire you when you're only going to be in the area for 4 months, so I started looking for nanny and babysitting positions. It took a couple of weeks, but a family finally reached out to me and wanted me to become their nanny. Unfortunately, the full time position that I had applied for had turned into a part time position but it was the only thing that I had received a positive response for so I trusted God and met the family. The parents are Jewish, originally from Israel, and speak Hebrew. They speak Hebrew in the house and have many books. I thought it was so cool. When we met, they said that they didn't have a problem with me being Christian (the nanny they had prior to me was actually Muslim) as long as I wasn't going to be pushing my beliefs on them. I told them I would love them like Christ did but I wouldn't "push" my beliefs. So in September I started nannying for 2 children, one 5 years and the other 2 years old.

The lives of these 2 children are so drastically different from the 50+ littles that I loved on for a year. But kids are kids. And it has been a privilege to get to know these two. They quickly found a place in my heart (as all kids do) and I have found a place in theirs. This past week actually, the 2 year old, who goes by Baba, has actually started refusing his parents when they get home from work and wanting me. I feel bad because he breaks down crying every time I leave and repeats over and over "No Bye Betty. Betty stay. Hi Betty." I've also found a few other families that I babysit for occasionally and they are all super sweet too. 

In NYC surprising Kira
I also been able to spend time with my family and friends. That was a blessing that came from not going to Nashville too. I got to surprise one of my best friends right after I got home while she was still working in the city. Jackson helped me set it up and when Kira saw me, she actually turned and walked away because she was so overwhelmed! Luckily, she came back and then hugged me! I was also able to spend time with my best friends on their birthdays. No one really warns you about the awkward time after college where all of your friends are located in different locations and you end up in a place where you don't really know many people. But God is good and despite distance and occasional hardships, these people have been a constant in my life and I will be forever grateful for them. I love them very much and it's always great when we get to spend time together.

Bible study with the girls
Earlier this week, Heather and I booked our flight to Uganda. I will be flying down to Nashville January 6 and spend about a week down their with her before we fly out together to Uganda on January 12. Heather is the one who has her own organization, His Heart For Africa, that I became such good friends with during my year in Uganda. She and I got an apartment together right down the road from the James Place so we'll be living together during this upcoming year. I'm so looking forward to getting to spend more time with her and seeing how I can help with her organization too. 

All of this leads me to talking about fundraising. I have my flight purchased but I do not have the funds yet necessary to stay for the entirety of the year. I know the Lord will provide the funds, but I have to do my part to get there. I have to fundraise approximately $17,000 to cover all of the costs of getting to and living in Jinja for year. I cannot do this without your help. Whether it be financially or through prayer, I need you to walk with me on this journey. God doesn't call everyone to go, but he does call everyone to "Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed" Psalm 82:3. I ask you to prayerfully consider how you can help me on this journey to serve the abandoned women and children in Uganda. 

There are a couple of opportunities coming up to help support me if you are in the New Jersey area:

Friday, December 11th - Craft Show - 6pm - 9pm Lincoln Elementary School, 40 Mill Street, Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442
I will have a table at Lincoln Elementary School’s Winter Wonderland where I will be selling hand-rolled paper bead necklaces made by the women of HEAL Ministries. I will also be selling coffee bean ornaments as well as plates, bowls, & cups that I’ve decorated. Some examples can be seen below.





Saturday, December 12th - Spaghetti Dinner - 5:30pm - 7:30pm
First Presbyterian Church of Franklin, 11 Main Street, Franklin, NJ 07416
I will be holding a spaghetti dinner at the church that I grew up in. Dinner includes, salad, pasta, meatballs, bread, and dessert. I will be giving a presentation at 6:30pm about what I did during the year that I was in Uganda with HEAL Ministries. Necklaces made by the women of HEAL, as well as ornaments and plates/bowls/cups I decorated will also be available for sale. Pre-purchase tickets (Adult $10, Child $5; under age 5 eat free) to help me with headcount or pay an extra $2 a ticket at the door. To-go food will be available for pick up between 5 and 5:30pm.
To purchase tickets, please email me at betty@heal-ministries.org or call me at 201-819-1374. You can also join the Facebook event that I created and tell me you want tickets via that.

Thank you all for being a part of my journey! If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. God bless!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

The Last 4 Months

New Year Update